Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Transfer Adobe Program Preferences

So I finally figured out how to transfer settings and preferences from Adobe programs. I don't know if I missed out on something but upgrading is a hassle, especially when you have to set up your preferences over and over again. Last time I couldn't figure out how to transfer my settings. Adobe couldn't help much either. But it didn't happen this time! I want my workspaces, my gradients, my shapes, etc to be accessible even if I can't open the old programs anymore (since apparently legitimately activating old programs is nearly impossible)

I work mostly on Windows so I don't know how Macs handle this. Your settings can be retrieved in Windows 7 by going to the following folder on your main hard drive: C:\Users\[NAME]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\
There, you will find folders for each Adobe program, some even have Settings in the folder name. If you've already ran the new version, open that folder (Ctrl+Double-click) and open the old version's folder. The structure should be nearly identical. Look for proprietary Adobe files like the Brush and Gradient files and copy them over to the new version. Worksapces can also be transferred this way. Once you've done that, open your new Adobe program and enjoy working like before!

This saved me quite the hassle of updating from Photoshop and Illustrator CS5 to 5.1. Yeah, it's a big deal.

0 comments:

Post a Comment