Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Megaman Battle Network Official Complete Works is here!

I finally got my copy of MMBN OCW in the mail today. It's so awesome. I never expected to own a Battle Network book so incredibly detailed. And the cover is holographic. That was a nice surprise. All the pages are very glossy and finely printed which was probably really expensive to print. I read the entire book today and here are my trivial observations.

  • There is a typo on some page where Chinese candles or lights are mentioned. "Heating" is misspelled.
  • On Duo's official art page, the alternate Duo chip image still has a Japanese label.
  • The "BassAnly" chip is called "Bass Anomoly" in the book several times.
  • On Topman's artwork page, his chip is also shown translate. It reads "Grrr" as opposed to Japanese characters.
  • Shadowman's special chip is called "Image Slash" in the book when it is called "Split Up" in the game.
  • The book admits that "Spoutman" was an error in localization. In MMBN6, it should have been "Aquaman", "Aqua Cross", and "Aqua Beast". Eraseman's localized name remains unchanged.
  • Some of the comments are actually much more aggressive than anything that appeared in the game such as Gyroman's operator, Charlie telling Mayl that he'll meet her in 10 years and Tora calling Lan a "smart ass".
It was fun reading about the design process. I got the impression that the design team was always rushed, yet seemed professional and enthusiastic. I liked hearing about the connection to the pixel artists. It's a lot of work for them and I felt they should have gotten more recognition. I wonder how much more content and detail the game would have had if they were given more time. Hearing that specific chips couldn't appear as detailed as they should have been left me thinking.

Overall, the book is brilliant. I learned and relearned things I was forgetting. I will treasure this book for as long as I can. It is a tome of indispensable artwork and information I desire.

8 comments:

Alilatias said...

"Gyroman's operator, Charlie telling Mayl that he'll meet her in 10 years"

lol what?

Man, I have to get this book now.

Anonymous said...

I love it too, and I also noticed several typos.

Also, sometimes it references BN games as the source, and sometimes EXE games. It's kind of inconsistent.

Reading about the design process was interesting!

Anonymous said...

Aquaman was renamed because of this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquaman

Mega Rock.exe said...

Apparently. But I doubt anything would have happened considering the characters were made in different countries and they already got away with it once.

Mgamerz said...

"Gyroman's operator, Charlie telling Mayl that he'll meet her in 10 years"

lol what?
Well, if they are in the 5th grade... 10 years will be when she's 18. O_O

Mgamerz said...

MREXE I would love some scans

Mega Rock.exe said...

State the scans. They shall be posted at TREZ.

Mgamerz said...

Eh... all of them :) I don't know, I don't have a book... I just kind of want to be able to read the book.
Or perhaps at least what the development processes was like. I'm not that much into the artwork.

Post a Comment