Saturday, November 13, 2010

Shiny bevels in Inkscape

For months, I have been pondering on the technique used to create the shiny beveled edges found in several official Megaman logos. For a while my guesses skewed to pixel-based bevel effects in Photoshop. Finally, I've realized how this effect was done, in vector. It's a little time-consuming, but fun.

Here is an exaggerated example done in Inkscape.

It can actually be done in Adobe Illustrator along with Inkscape. I just downloaded Illustrator, but I accidentally got CS3 which is clunky and illogical compared to CS4. Both programs have their advantage when doing this. In Inkscape and Illustrator, CS4 in particular, the gradient can be moved around freely. In Illustrator, blending modes can be used as opposed to Inkscape which only supports blending modes in layers. A blending mode will make the effect shinier and applicable to any background. However, Illustrator isn't so great at clipping. At least I haven't had an easy time applying some. Plus, it doesn't support gradient strokes, but that can be solved easily. Inkscape can generate the line segments faster than Illustrator as far as I know. I'll gladly write a tutorial on this soon since it has bugged me for so long. Then maybe the technique can be improved upon.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So... gradients?

STOP THE PRESSES!

mega rock.exe said...

But they all have to be manually generated, so it's still time-consuming.

Anonymous said...

I see. Doesn't seem any more time-consuming than the rest of the process, but still. I commend you for finding this out.

If I can just figure out how the heck to use Inkscape properly, I'll try it. Loves me some GIMPS, but still hatin' on Inkscape.

mega rock.exe said...

Learning vector graphics can be tough when you've only practiced bitmap graphics. There are tutorials to help and it takes time.

Anonymous said...

Bezier curves are a breeze when you get the hang of it. It's the finicky way that Inkscape has of filling and tweaking that gets me.

mega rock.exe said...

Inkscape is much better at modifying paths than Illustrator. Illustrator needs 4 tools for what Inkscape does in one. The fill and stroke box can get kind of confusing sometimes but at least there are gradient strokes.

Post a Comment